Tuesday 4 January 2011

Hoveringham 4th Jan

Another day, another birdwatch! i couldnt resist getting a train to Lowdham today with my bike so i could bike to Caythorpe and Hoveringham to look for the Great White Egret and Whooper Swans which were reported on rarebirdalert.

I set of on my bike from lowdham, and found the spot where i thought i had to be. No egret, no whoopers. I did find a small group of Mute Swans in a field, so got the scope out, but couldnt see any whoopers. Feeling dejected, i got on my bike again and went down to hoveringham.

On the river, i heard the sound of Wigeon, and sure enough, there were about 200 of them on the river, and a few feeding on the banks. On the opposite side there was a group of around 300 Canada Goose too.

Moving on towards the Hoveringham gravels, i saw a large flock of Fieldfare feeding in some stubble, possibly around 100 birds. Later on my way back, these had been joined by more and the final flock numbered around 300! I've not seen many around my usual patches, so the farmland around here must be a lot more suited to their needs.

Approaching the gravel pits i soon noticed they were frozen over. I had a quick glance through my bins and noticed that there were a few birds congregated over towards the middle of the Railway pit, so i decided seeing as i'd come all this way, that i might as well walk round and have a look. I got my scope out when i got down there, as there was an area of open water which was crammed with birds. There were several gulls about, mostly black headed, but there were also 6 Herring Gull, 16 Great Black Backed and a handful of Common Gulls too. There were also a few hundred ducks, including around 150 Mallard, and over 100 Teal. On one of the islands, there was also a Grey heron, and on the grassy banks in front of me were several Pied Wagtails and a single Meadow Pipit.

Not bad then, i thought, although it was a bit annoying that i'd gone all that way for not that much of interest! However, on the way back i was scanning the fields as i rode, and noticed in the distance a small group of white things.... They looked a bit like sheep at first, but i decided to get my scope out, and was rewarded with the sight of 9 Whooper Swans!!! Amazing!!! I only saw these for the first time on new years eve, when i saw 2 feeding in a group of Mute swans, along with 4 Bewick's. To see 9 was great, especially in notts, as they are not frequently seen. Made my day.

On the way back to the train station, i noticed a white blob in one of the fields, and closer inspection resulted in me seeing a Little Egret! My first winter record of this species, and also the first i've seen in ages. Not quite a Great white, but an excellent sighting nonetheless.

So it was all worth it in the end... not to mention a beautiful day in picturesque rural nottinghamshire :)

No comments:

Post a Comment