Sunday 2 January 2011

2010 IS OVER

I have got hopelessly behind on my blog for 2010, so i am going to give it up and start fresh for the new year. I will however do a little round up of the year.

2010 was my first year PROPERLY birdwatching, in that I recorded pretty much everything i saw, wrote a blog, and generally watched birds a lot more seriously and often. I've made some friends and contacts along the way, learned a LOT about birds and the local area, and travelled to places that i otherwise would not have visited. It has also provided me with a source of regular exercise, in the form of my bicycle, without which i wouldn't do much birding at all (or it would cost me an arm and a leg). So in all i think its a pretty good hobby.

As i haven't recorded stuff properly before, this year gave me a whole host of lifers and year ticks, and a lot of birds which now seem familiar were new ones for me, even though i've more than likely set eyes on them before, just without taking an interest. Species as common as Whitethroat, Stock Dove and Hobby were all lifers for me this year, along with many others. Even birds like swifts and swallows now seem a lot more common to me, as although i had seen them before, i never noticed them quite as much as i do now. The same goes for birdsong, learning the calls of birds has switched me on and now it is something i notice every time i leave the house, even hearing pied wagtails on the rooftops in the city centre. Its made me a lot more perceptive!!!

So 2010 was a great year, with a grand total of 147 species on my year list, which although it contains a few dodgy escapees (ross's goose, white cheeked pintail, etc), Isn't a bad number at all, but not quite my 150 target!!!!

Highlight birds for me are
  • Bittern - Saw loads early in the year at various sites, and then have seen them return in the autumn at Attenborough and Holme Pit
  • Wildfowl - I regularly counted the wildfowl at Attenborough NR and a few other sites and will continue to do so, also seeing Goldeneyes and Sawbills (including a Red Breasted Merganser!!!) were particularly special.
  • Red Kite - A distant flyby at Attenborough, but a contender for bird of the year
  • Waders - Attenborough provided a good list of waders throughout the year for me, a group of birds i haven't really seen before, particular highlights were Greenshank, Little Ringed Plovers, Snipe and Common Sandpipers. the flock of lapwing at attenborough deserves a mention too - sometimes numbering 350 birds.
  • Brent Geese - I saw around 1200 of these at Frampton Marsh in October
  • Wild Swans - on NYE i managed to see my first Bewick's and Whooper Swans
  • WAXWINGS - After weeks of searching treetops, i finally connected with a small group (8) of these amazing birds in december. There's loads about so i'm hoping to see more.
  • Black Tern - A juvenile bird stayed for over a week at Attenborough this autumn, providing good photo oppurtunities. Also a couple of little terns earlier in the summer were great.
  • Raptors - i saw numerous Hobbies this year, which are incredible little birds, as well as nottinghamshires first recorded Breeding marsh harriers, Incredible. Peregrines kestrels buzzards and merlins all require a mention too, not to mention the Sparrowhawks i've seen.... thats nearly all of the common ones hahah!!!

theres loads more to mention and i can't pick a best, but its been a great year for me. I'm looking forward to what i'll see this year, especially as i am now a much more experienced birdwatcher and know where they might turn up.

i'll DEFINATELY get 150 this year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment