Sunday 2 January 2011

First trip out 2011

Yesterday was a bit of a write off as i was at work most of the day, i did however see a flock of c30 Redwing, which were my first birds of 2011. By the end of the day i had 5 species on my year list!!!

Today though that number has shot up to 40. boosted in the morning when i was greeted with 7 species in my back garden, including the resident Coal Tit, which is always great to see. I topped up the food rations out there and then hopped on my bike for quite a cold ride to Holme Pierrepont.

I was hoping to see a smew or two, but unfortunately i was unsuccessful. I did however have a nice ride down there, and managed to see a nice set of species. On the moorings near the canoe course, there were 30 Lapwing, which i sort of knew were going to be there, but the expected Redshanks were absent. However, once i'd gone around the regatta, one flew overhead calling loudly as it went. Thats a good start to the year list, i didnt get Redshank until october in 2010!!!!

I thought i'd go and increase my list by visiting the reedbeds which i had been working on a few weeks back with the Wildlife Trust at their Skylarks reserve. I hoped to hear a water rail and even maybe see a Bittern (ha!) but i was unsucessful, however i did manage my first Greater Spotted Woodpecker of the year, and a handsome Common Buzzard which was sat in a tree. It may have been a juvenile or maybe just typically variable, as it had pale streaking on its chest, not unlike a female hen harrier. When i flew off i also made my exit, and went to check out the wildfowl and gulls on the regatta.

There were no smew, which was disappointing, but it was made better by the 2 drake and 8 female Goldeneye which showed well, amongst a host of other ducks, including 4 teal, 2 gadwall and several Pochard. The gulls were mostly black headed, but there were a few Commons inclusing a large 1st winter bird which had me guessing.

I'm currently at work, and i got one last tick of the day as i was walking in, the peregrine which roosts in town, lovley.

No comments:

Post a Comment