Friday 7 January 2011

Attenborough - 7th Jan

Had my first visit to Attenborough for the year today. I got up early as i had an appointment this afternoon, so i aimed to be there for around 9ish. However, heavy snow and sleet kept me indoors until around 11, so i didnt get there til gone 12. This proved to be annoying, as it meant i only spent around an hour at the reserve!!! Not enough time at all!

I had a quick scan around the industrial estates when i got off the bus for Waxwings, but there were none about, so i walked down barton lane towards the reserve. In the paddocks next to the road were a flock of Redwing, but it was hard to see how many, but i estimated around 30.

Walking onto the reserve (though from this direction it is more like a building site), i scanned Church pond, which was about80% frozen. In the thawed bits though were loads of Coot, Mute Swan and Mallard, along with a count of 27 Gadwall, and 2 RED-CRESTED POCHARD. I then wandered towards the visitor centre and on the path was a small tit flock. I heard a high pitched noise which i recognised as a Goldcrest, and sure enough, i encountered one flitting between the branches. At one point it was hovering like a hummingbird, which i've never seen before, and it was feeding within a metre of me at times. (Didnt take my camera though as it was so dull - balls!)

I visited the 'willow peninsula' behind the visitor centre today, as a couple of willow tits have been recently recorded there. Unfortunately today i was unlucky and didn't see it, but a good mix of familiar 'garden' birds were present, as well as a couple of Tree Sparrow and a pair of Egyptian Geese.

Over the footbridge i went, noting down a pair of Goosander, one of which was seen at very close quarters (didnt realise they were so big!). I recorded a few more of these and a handful of Goldeneye later on on Coneries too. In the trees on the path through the ponds was a large mobile tit flock, and surprisingly i stumbled upon 2 Treecreepers (new for me at the reserve). Again, one fed within a metre from me, and again i kicked myself for not having my camera, NOT an easy species to photograph and what a missed opportunity!!!

My next mission was to see some Bitterns, as they have recently been seen on the stream behind the fields that runs out onto the trent. However they were absent today, but 4 Grey Heron were fishing there, along with...bizarrely... 2 Pusscats. I moved onto the river path from here to see if i could see the 1st w male Smew, but again was unlucky. However, a group of c100 Wigeon were seen feeding over at cottages flash, and 3 very noisy Fieldfare flew low overhead.

Not much else was noted, and it began to rain. Feeling a bit wet and deflated, i decided it was time to go, especially as i had that appointment. A flock of around 100 Goldfinch sitting atop a few trees were the last thing i saw in the reserve. I was 15 minutes late for my appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment