Saturday 6 February 2016

Patchwork Update: January

The first month of my third year doing the 'Patchwork Challenge' down at Holme Pierrepont went pretty well. Out of the 3 years., this has been my best January for number of species so far, with 67 seen. In comparison, I had only seen 63 species in January in 2015 and 65 in 2014. Looking at these numbers it seems that if I'm hitting the mid-60's mark, then I'm doing OK.

With a few more visits, I probably could have notched up a few more, but being limited to weekends and having other responsibilities, I have only been able to hit the main part of the patch ,maybe once a week, but have been able to get to the lesser visited northern end of the patch whilst walking the dog.

Highlights this month are a female Smew at the end of the month, an annual species, but not always easy to catch up with; a couple of Yellow-legged Gulls have been nice additions, again annual visitors but I usually see them later in the year; a flock of 22 Golden Plover was a first for the site for me, it seems a species I should have seen a lot sooner, but for some reason always eluded me; the first returning Oystercatcher was bang on time at the end of the month; and a Treecreeper, a common bird, but again not always easy to catch up with on patch, one I was particularly glad to pick up.

There are still some gaping holes in the list, which should be filled before the spring migrants rock up, including such easy birds as Pheasant, Buzzard and Meadow Pipit, and other which shouldn't take too much finding like Jay, Coal Tit, Water rail and Redshank.

I've ended February on 73 species in the previous two years, so I'll be doing well if i can add around 10 species this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment