Friday 5 April 2013

Finally, some migrants! 5th april

Headed out to attenborough again today as an avocet was reported going to and fro over the river throughout the afternoon yesterday. Typically, the bird had disappeared by the time I managed to get there at  11.30 but apparently it hadn't been seen since yesterday anyway. Where do these birds go?

I had a relatively brief wander round the reserve nonetheless but wasn't entirely optimistic as there was nothing of note on Tween Pond and the Wheatear Field was getting a well needed haircut, so not many birds around there. The tower hide produced a mass of Black-headed Gulls, hopefully they will successfully breed here this year as they failed the previous two years (i believe) due to predation. I remember the constant racket the colony caused several years ago when they bred there throughout the summer, and although it was  bit loud, I think I miss it! Interestingly, there was an increase in large gulls, with a couple of adult Herring Gulls which have been knocking about for a while, as well as around 30 1st summer birds, which i presume were also Herrings, but they could have been a mix of species, but I didn't have my field guide with me. They were feasting on something from the water round the island, having a field day.

Best of all though in the distance to the far left of the reedbeds I noticed some hirundines flying about. I wandered round to the peninsula to check them out, and found several Sand Martins flying about, as well as a couple of Swallows. Fantastic. We've all been waiting for some migrants, and to see a Swallow was an added bonus. Shortly afterwards I heard a Chiffchaff, but failed to locate it. 1st of the year again.
You're Late!

There were still some winter birds about, including around 10 Goldeneye, 14 Goosander and about 90 Wigeon, and before I left I witnessed 2 Oystercatchers mating on the Tween Pond scrapes. Very interesting and the first time I've seen any breeding activity from this species on the reserve.

Some southerlies are coming next week, so I predict an influx of migrants in the next few days. Let's see what they bring (apart from the forecast rain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment