Sunday 28 April 2013

Clifton, 24th april

Had one of my best days birding at Clifton the other day. It's funny that sometimes when I go to this site I can struggle to see 20 species, whereas at others it can be a hive of activity. It was certainly that when i visited on wednesday after doing some tree-work at Glapton wood in the estate.

I got a lift with chris from the wildlife trust to go and attempt to find some of the remnant population of Corn Buntings that live in the area but which are threatened by intense agriculture and urban and highway development. We stood facing a windy field near Barton-in-Fabis for some time before a little brown bird popped onto the top of an elder tree and started singing. We could only just make it out over the sound of the wind and the traffic on the a453, but it was good to see my first UK Corn Bunting in 3 years.
Chaffinch, Branshill Moor

I said goodbye to chris and biked through the Clifton patch, stopping off at all key areas to on the way through before riding back to west bridgford. By taking in all the best areas, I managed to see 54 species, the most by far i've seen at clifton, and it even beats my overall record at all my patches, which previously stood at 52, a visit i made to attenborough a couple of winters ago. It just pays to put in the footwork i guess.

The highlights, aside from the corn bunts, was a Greenshank and 3 Little Ringed Plover at cottages flash, both firsts for the year as well as a pair of Oystercatchers on the Riverside fields.  2 Shelduck were feeding in fields nearby while I was unsuccessfully looking for Whinchat. I also managed to finally see the feral/confused Pink Footed Goose that has been knocking about the area with the greylag flock for over a year now. I've always missed it despite searching but managed it today, and even got a rubbish photo.


Pink-footed Goose, Riverside Fields
Warblers were also everywhere and i managed 8 species, notably a Lesser Whitethroat singing at the rough wood, Loads of Common Whitethroat throughout the area (and all the way downriver to west bridgford) and a Cetti's Warbler calling near Barton Island. Sedge warblers and a Red-crested Pochard were also notable at Holme Pit. 1 single male Goosander was also present on the Trent near the grove in the morning, but had gone by the afternoon.
Red-crested pochard, Holme Pit

So a succesful trip, especially in getting a couple of good waders in, although the lack of Wheatears and Whinchat was disappointing, although these elude me often. I should still have some time to catch these on passage though, hopefully...

No comments:

Post a Comment