Wednesday 9 January 2013

BIKEIT update + Smew

Just had a short bike-ride round Wollaton Park, which sits handily within my three-mile BIKEIT radius, mainly to look for a Lesser-spotted Woodpecker, but also as it was such a nice afternoon it seemed silly not to go and watch some wildfowl in the waning evening light.

I haven't seen a lesserpecker since I saw a pair nesting at the park in 2010, and as one was reported on sunday feeding with a tit flock, I thought it was worth having a look. Sadly, none were about, in fact there was quite a lack of passerines, but the light was failing in the wooded areas so it was no surprise. The lake however was heaving with waterbirds and it was to see some species which are a bit hard to come by locally such as Wigeon, Red Crested Pochard and Shoveler. No Goosanders though, so I'll have to head to Highfields Park at the Uni if I want to get it on my January 'BIKEIT' list. I also got some excellent views of some Nuthatch, common as muck here, but a wonderful bird nonetheless!

The BIKEIT list is going well, and today's trip to Wollaton boosted it, but a lot of the species I had managed just around and about. I was happy to get Blackcap yesterday, as although I do get a regular female visiting in winter in my girlfriends garden, it can be quite irregular in its visits so was worried it wouldn't turn up. I'd also thought that Song Thrush would be difficult, but I forgot that they start piping up in January and now they're singing all over the place. I saw some redpolls and a Mistle Thrush yesterday but they were just outside my recording area which was annoying, but the former should be easy enough, especially if the one which sang for most of the winter near my house last year decides to return. I also got Redwing and Coal Tit while doing some volunteer work in Sherwood today so that gets them off the list!

Updated list, BLUE species indicate those I've seen
So far then I have 39 out of my target 70, which is 55.7%. I plan to revisit Wollaton and pass through Highfields park tomorrow so I think my total will be a lot higher. Just need some local waxwings now...


In other news, a report of 3 Smew saw me heading to Colwick park at 8.30 on Tuesday morning, and I connected with them straight away. I was expecting redheads as it doesn't seem like a 'smewy' winter, but I was pleasantly surprised by seeing a dapper drake with two females as company. I'm really pleased to have got these early on in the year and it was without doubt the best views I've had. Shame the light was so poor though, the photos I did get were terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment