Thursday 10 January 2013

Another trip to Wollaton

After yesterdays brief visit to Wollaton, I decided it would be good to have a proper wander round the park as its been so long since I've had a good look around. The plan was to go there, mainly to try and find lesserpecker again, then head through Highfield Park to get myself a Goosander for my local list, before heading to Attenborough. There had been reports of over 50 snipe there so I didn't want to miss that. It would have been good to see how many species I'd get in a day too.

Sadly it didn't go to plan. I got up early enough but the fog was so thick that it didn't seem worth going until it cleared a bit, so I didn't end up leaving til gone half 10. I then spent much longer at Wollaton than planned and by the time I left the fog hadn't lifted at all despite the forecast saying we'd see some sun later on. The prospect of a foggy Attenborough didn't whet my appetite as it would have been impossible to see much at all, so I went to Highfields briefly before going home at about 2pm.

Crow in the Mist
Despite this I had an excellent time at the park, seeing 33 species, which is about average for this site. I started near the football pitches where around 60 Redwing were feeding under the tree canopy, which flew off in the direction of the deer park. Other than a few Goldfinches and a Treecreeper there was little else about. More Redwings were seen and heard on the way to the lake, where there was still quite a few waterbirds but not as many as last night, and certainly not as many gulls. A couple of egyptian geese were present, the first ones i've seen here, as well as good numbers of Gadwall and Pochard as well as a few Teal, Shoveler and Wigeon.

I was keeping an eye on the trees round the lake, hoping to see a lesserpecker but was unsuccessful. However there was plenty to keep me interested. About halfway round the lake in a yew tree were several Goldcrest, including a female which was happy to allow me to approach while she fed. I tried to get some shots but the light was so awful that they didn't turn out well, however she eventually stopped to preen which allowed me to get this interesting shot.

Female Goldcrest
Further round the lake in the woodland to the south I continued my woodpecker hunt, as this is usually a good place to find them, usually amidst a tit flock. I found a large flock consisting mainly of Long-tailed Tits, but no lesserpecker, although a Great Spotted Woodpecker was present. Along with the tits were a few more goldcrest and some more Treecreepers. I searched and followed the flock for around half an hour and was also rewarded with a couple of Coal Tits but nothing else. There were good numbers of Nuthatch around too.

Not a bad little walk round, and I was happy to see some of my favourite species. I'll be returning to continue my search for that little woodpecker and hopefully some better light so I can try and get some better Goldcrest pictures. I finished the day going to Highfield Park to get a Goosander and found 2 females and a male, so thats them ticked off the local list. The list now stands at 44/70 or 62%. The hunt goes on!










No comments:

Post a Comment