Saturday 2 April 2016

Spring rushing in

I had a feeling this weekend would be decent. With some southerly winds forecast and some warmer weather forecast, it surely meant that some migrants would be about. It started well last night with a couple of House Martins in the evening, and then as I went to walk the dog in the rain, there were good numbers of Sand Martins over the rowing course, with a few Swallows and House Martins in there too. Blackcap were also singing in the old Skylarks reserve.

After heading home to drop the hound off and have some lunch with my girlfriend, I headed back down on my bike to seee what else was about on the A52 and blotts pits, maybe some of the Sandwich terns reported the other side of town this morning?

As it happened, there were no terns, but another patch tic, the long awaited Nuthatch, was heard singing in the blotts country club garden whilst I was surveying the heronry. I also noted 2 Grey Partridge on the eastern side of Blotts pit, my first here since 2014. A Willow warbler  was also noted, singing in the scrub nearby. Otherwise, there were a few Little Ringed Plover about, and the swans were getting particularly frisky, and there were also a few butterflies on the wing, Peacocks, Small Torts and Comma.




No comments:

Post a Comment