Wednesday 14 August 2013

Moth trapping in august

I've been pretty busy of late, with my birthday bringing many celebrations, my girlfriend preparing for buggering off to mexico for four weeks and me working at Boardmasters festival in Cornwall, so blogging has been neglected a bit.

I've done 3 moth traps since the beginning of august and it is strange how quickly the catch has declined. On the 30th July I caught a reasonable catch of 37 moths of 22 species, not bad for my garden and in fitting with the good catches i'd been getting over the month. However, august hit and with it some slightly cooler nights, and my catches dwindled too. I was catching billions of uncertains and marbled beauties, when all of a sudden, they disappeared, replaced by various yellow underwings and common rustics.

On my birthday I woke up to a quiet trap which included a trio of 'newies':

Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing


Large Fruit Tree Tortrix, note the little grebe in the top right corner



Udea lutealis



all of which are damn fine looking moths, especially the yellow underwing.


Next up was 13 moths of six species on the 6th, very quiet.

Common rustic agg. variant #1



Common rustic agg. variant #2



Lesser Yellow Underwing NFY




and then after being away in cornwall I returned eager to get some more moths in, and was overrun with them, catching a whopping 5 (with about as many escapees).

This did include two more newies though:

Lesser broad bordered yellow underwing (longest name ever, and worn to boot)



agriphila genicula



and a couple of stunning large yellow underwings, well fit, common as they are




.... and another common rustic agg......



No comments:

Post a Comment