Monday 20 May 2013

Weekend birding, 11th + 12th May

I spent a couple of days last weekend away, seeing a few friends in Lincoln, as well as having a walk round the Peak District.
Stanage Edge, Derbyshire

Me and my friend Joe went to Hathersage in Derbyshire for a hillwalk, as we hadn't been together for ages, so felt it was time to get the leg muscles working. I also took it as a rare opportunity to check out some upland birds, so was happy when as soon as we got onto Stanage Edge, we heard the evocative sounds of Curlews and were almost constantly in the company of Meadow Pipits. I also saw my first Red Grouse for about 7 years, somehow I hadn't seen them since I was in Derbyshire one time back in about 2006 I think, despite going for walks in suitable habitat on numerous occasions. There were loads everywhere so were pretty hard to miss. 

We took a slight detour to Stanage Pole, which was extremely uninteresting and had no explantation as to why it was marked on the OS map, but I did get to see a Golden Plover after I'd heard its distinctive call, nice to see in its breeding habitat and plumage. 

Joe with Stanage Pole

We wandered up and down the gritstone edge for a while before walking down through the fields towards the village of Hathersage. On the way down I got my best ever views of a male Ring Ouzel, only the 3rd time I've seen one. It was great to see one feeding out in the open and for such a good period of time, it was just a little too distant for a good record shot though. Just need one in Notts now. after reaching Hathersage we walked back up onto the moor to complete the loop back to the car, seeing more Meadow Pips, Lapwings and Curlew on the way. 


The next day I was in Lincoln for a friends birthday and had some time to kill during the day. I decided to get a lift with my mate to North Hykeham while he went to work for a couple of hours, leaving me to walk down to Whisby Nature Park, via the sailing club lakes. I went with the aim of seeing or at least hearding some Nightingales, but by the time i'd walked from Hykeh


am to the areas where i'd be likely to encounter them, I pretty much had to turn back and didn't get to see one. I had a great walk though, seeing loads of warblers, including the Cetti's which had only been recorded for the 1st time here 4 days previously. The only ones missing from the list were Gropper and Lesser Whitethroat.

There were hundreds of Swifts on site that afternoon, hunting lower over the water and the hedges as the rain came in. I tried for some inflight shots but as usual they were very difficult to photograph. 

I also came across my first orchid of the year, this Southern Marsh Orchid.

 I do like this reserve, I've visited 3 times now and have seen a fair bit each time. The highlight for me has to be the warblers, as the reserve holds a great deal of scrubby, warbleer friendly habitat. It must be fantastic for invertebrates too.

No comments:

Post a Comment