Saturday 23 March 2013

Mid March

After a few busy birdless days, I had an afternoon free so headed on down to Clifton to chase up some reports of a few waders which had been seen on Cottages flash, most notably a Black-tailed Godwit and a Dunlin. As usual though they had disappeared but I still saw a fair bit, including a Little Egret and around 50 Wigeon on the flash, both being species I rarely see in the area, although as with anywhere the egrets are becoming a more familiar sight. Otherwise it seemed a quiet day, the weather as poor so not many birds were in song and about the only other area where there were more than a handful of birds was around the rough wood hedgerow and the hills facing it. Here, a flock of around 50 fieldfare were present, as well as a few Redwing thrown in, the first winter thrushes I've seen for a while. A Water Rail was also heard calling from amongst the reeds on Holme Pit.

Blue Tit, Attenborough
The next day, I was back in the area again, though with the Wildlife Trust this time, planting Oak, Field Maple, Hazel and Holly to restock Clifton Wood up at the top, to increase the range of tree ages and understory of the wood, which is certainly lacking in places, especially at the eastern end of the wood. It was a good day and there were a few birds about, including lots of Siskin in the Larches  and a few Lesser Redpoll in the plantation at the western edge of the wood. Goldcrests, nuthatches and GS Woodpeckers were present too as usual. When I got home I found out there had been a flock of 30 or so Whooper Swan in the area which I missed. This would have been a great sight but luckily they had roosted at Attenborough, where I have yet to see this species, so obviously I had to go in the morning to catch them before they disappeared.

Mallard , Attenborough
I awoke to a beautiful windless day, the sun shining, and knew my chances were slim of seeing these swans, as it was perfect flying whether and I'm sure they were itching to migrate north to their breeding territories. What didn't help was that I missed my train to the reserve, making it even less likely that I'd see them. And I didn't! I scoured the whole reserve and the river, and there wasn't any sign of them. I saw a great deal of other stuff though, getting a respectable list of 50 species throughout the 4 hours I was there. It was nice to see some winter ducks hanging on, including around 20 Goldeneye, 10 Goosander and a flock of 80+ Wigeon. 2 Shelduck were also on Clifton pit island, having ben here for a while. A few pairs usually stick it out for most of the summer, but I've never seen evidence of breeding. The highlight however was my best ever views of a Bittern, which was creeping around in some sedges on the near bank in front of the Tower Hide. I watched it for a long time, thanks to it being pointed out by a fellow birder, David. It was amazing to see it in such detail and it even had a potential altercation with a Grey Heron, but they decided to keep it clean and wandered past each other with no problems! A couple of Snipe were seen flying from the reedbed too. No Sand Martins or Chiffchaffs yet, though with the snow and cold weather, I don't blame them. The morning was nice an warm however, and was warm enough to warrant my first butterfly of the year, a beautiful Red Admiral, seen basking on some flowers in Attenborough village.

Grey Heron, Attenborough


No comments:

Post a Comment