Tuesday 4 May 2010

Attenborough 22nd April

Had the best day birding i've had this year today, me mums birthday :)
I'd just got my telescope so it was its maiden voyage today, and i got up bright and early to get there at 8.30, had hoped to be even earlier but it was fine. the reserve looked beautiful in the early morning light and the surface of the lakes were as calm as could be.








The visitor centre had its usual ruckus of waterfowl, although not as much as usual, perhaps they were just waking up. Highlights here were 2 Egyptian Geese perching on the rails of the visitor centre, a swan which looked great in the morning light, a pair of Gadwall, and the Coots were still sitting on their nests. There were a lot of Swallows and Sand Martins feeding over the lake too. The passerines were vocal, with Wren, Willow Warbler and Dunnock all adding to the cacaphony.














Walked over the bridge to view the Tween pond, where i was greeted to the sounds of my first Sedge Warbler of the year. i couldn't hear the first but located another one, singing loudly from the brambles. it was also a pleasure to see the first Bullfinch i've seen here since december i think, shining brightly in the sun as well as some singing Chiffchaff. There was a carrion crow which was silhouetted against the bright blue sky, but as i took the shot it flew off, but created quite an interesting image.














The tween pond was full of Black Headed Gulls and geese, but i thought i'd get my scope out to see if there was anything interesting. i was rewarded with my first lifer of the day, 2 Common Sandpipers, feeding on the drift, as well as my first Little Ringed Plover of the year, excellent!
On the wheatear field there were a Reed Bunting, a feeding Mistle Thrush, and i missed out on seeing a Snipe which had been there that morning - its definately my bogey bird. 3 Oystercatcher were screaming their heads off while flying round the lakes at speed.
The kingfisher hide produced the usual birds at the feeders, including the resident Tree Sparrows, as well as a nice pair of Stock Doves. They all disappeared all of a sudden, and most didn't return, so i think either i or a predator must have spooked them.
Upon leaving the hide, i had the joy of watching and listening to my first ever Whitethroat, as well as photographing a male Reed Bunting, perched atop a tree.













I made my way to the tower hide, keeping an eye on the wheatear field as i went. I was rewarded with the sight of the escaped Ross's Goose that has been seen over the river at Clifton, causing a bit of aggro between a flock of c30 Greylags. Several starling were also present, which oddly, i've not seen before at this patch. The brambles near the towerhide were a hive of activity, Chiffchaffs were seen collecting nesting material, there were more sedge warblers making a racket and more Whitethroat, and another Lifer was heard - Grasshopper Warbler! I made my way up to the hide, where i got excellent views of the 'Gropper' (cheers neil!) Also seen from the hide were several Lapwing, my first Common Terns of the year. Some Swifts were seen over the river too. Neil saw some Med. Gulls, but i missed out on them, as they were blending in with the distant Black-headed gulls.
















I also got an excellent view of a Chiffchaff, which was singing atop a tree which was level with the windows of the hide. I was only a few metres from it, and was able to get some good shots as it sang away oblivious to my presence. I also managed to get some good views in my scope of a pair of Kestrel sitting in the raptor nest box, and i tried my hand at digiscoping, but the results were disastrous! ok as a record shot though!
















Some Reed warblers were heard in the main reedbed, and a few were briefly glimpsed. As i made my way to the delta area, there were more warblers on the trent path, mainly Whitethroat and Blackcaps. There were plenty of butterflies around too, Speckled Wood, Orange-tip, Brimstone, among others. A little grebe was present at the delta hide, as well as more singing Reed Warblers.
















The walk back was largely uneventful aside from a few Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs, as well as loads of Goldfinch near the cricket pitch.
So... a very good day, warbler-tastic! Got some nice shots and pushed my attenborough 'list' way up! 49 species seen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment